Organization of First Presbyterian Church in 1914
The First Presbyterian Church of Freeport was organized in 1914, just two years after the town was laid out. On August 2nd of that year, after five days of services conducted by Dr. Thomas C. Johnson, twenty- six persons applied for membership.
Permission from the Presbytery was obtained to use salvageable material from the Quintana Church. The bell, pulpit, chairs, and some lumber were hauled from the demolished structure in Quintana to the lot on Second Street donated by the Freeport Sulphur Company.
Just one week after Easter Sunday, on April 11, 1915, at 3:30 p.m., the first services were conducted in the building by the Rev. W.T. Nicholson. The Rev. C.C. Beam and the Rev. J.M. Lewis were two of the early ministers serving the church.
The church grew with the area through the 1920's, 1930's, and 1940's. During the ministry of the Rev. H.B. Streater, Dow Chemical Company established its Texas Division, and the church decided to purchase two lots on West Broad Street for its future growth. The Rev. David M. Currie was the pastor during 1943-47, followed by the Rev. Lawrence Malloy during 1947-58.